Mobile Commerce and Personalization 2012 Promotion for Mailers
As we told you in an earlier Etip, the Postal Service™ is bringing back for an encore the Mobile
Barcode Incentive program that was so successful in 2011. This year, it is called the Mobile
Commerce and Personalization Promotion
, and will be available to mailers
starting July 1, 2012 and running through August 31, 2012. This incentive is for mailers
who include mobile barcodes
or equivalent print technology in or on certain mailpieces. The incentive and the regulations have changed a bit since last year’s incentive, so mailers
need to pay close attention to the changes.
What is eligible?
is available for mailings of Pre-sorted and automation First-Class Mail cards, letters and flats, and Standard Mail letters and flats that contain a mobile
barcode on the outside of each piece or on the contents within each piece. When scanned, the mobile barcode
must lead the recipient to purchase a product or service, or a personalized URL that leads to a web page whose web address and content are unique to the mailpiece recipient. In both cases, the web site must remain mobile-optimized.
What is not eligible?
is more restrictive this year in that mobile barcodes that when scanned lead to web sites that are not mobile-optimized will not be eligible. If the barcodes direct consumers to web pages that allow payment for prior or future purchases, encourage enrollment in inline bill payment or paperless statement services are also not eligible for the discount.
What is the USPS Incentive?
One of the changes to the USPS
incentive for 2012 is that the discount has been reduced to a 2% postage discount, while in 2011 the discount was 3%. This is an up-front discount, not a rebate. The incentive is also available this year to mailers
who use metered postage or precancelled stamps; last year it was restricted to permit imprint mailings only. Pieces with metered postage must bear an exact amount of postage as stipulated by the class and shape of mail. Mailings with postage paid by metered or precancelled stamp postage will have the percentage discount deducted from the additional postage due, except for Value Added Refund mailings, which may include the amount of the discount with the amount to be refunded.
There are some specific eligibility requirements in order for mailers to take advantage of this new incentive. To be eligible for the 2% mobile barcode discount, customers must register on the USPS Business Customer Gateway at gateway.usps.com, and specify which permits and CRIDs will participate in the promotion. Registration opens May 1, 2012, and must be completed at least 24 hours prior to the first mailing date. Other requirements include:
- Eligible mailings must be accompanied by electronic documentation. Mailings that are prepared by an entity other than the mail owner must indicate the identity of the owner in the electronic documentation. The electronic documentation must identify the mail owner and mail preparer in the ‘‘By/For’’ fields for all mailings, either by Customer Registration ID (CRID), Mailer ID (MID) or other account type that is assigned by USPS.
- Mailings of automation letters or flats must have Intelligent Mail® barcodes. Mailpieces with POSTNET™ barcodes will not be eligible for the price reduction.
- The promotion discount does not apply to single-piece First-Class Mail pieces including residual single-piece First-Class Mail pieces on a postage statement for Presorted and automation mailings.
- Mailers must provide the USPS acceptance unit with an unaddressed sample of the mailpiece that contains a mobile barcode. If mobile personalization is used, at least two samples must be submitted, demonstrating that the web addresses are unique to each addressee. Mailers must retain a sample of each mailpiece claiming a discount until October 31, 2012.
- Other than a full-service Intelligent Mail discount, no other incentives apply for mailpieces claiming a discount under this promotion.
- Participants must agree to participate in a survey conducted during or after the promotional period.
- Federal government official mailings under OMAS are not eligible for this promotion.
- Commingled, co-mailed and combined mailings are allowed, but a separate postage statement is required for mailpieces with Mobile Barcodes.
The requirements for the Mobile Commerce and Personalization Promotion were published in the May 3, 2012 Postal Bulletin. For more details, consult the USPS Mobile Barcode Promotion area on RIBBS, or the USPS 2012 Mobile Commerce and Personalization Promotion Program Requirements Guide. Mailers may also send concepts and mailpiece mock-ups via email to MobileBarcode@usps.gov.
Don’t miss out on our educational mailing webinars!
Log on to our webinar registration site to sign up.